Thursday, May 6, 2010

Bag the Boutonnier


With two teenage girls, I have had to buy plenty of boutonnieres for school dances. This last dance, Prom, I routinely did my duty and ordered Kelsey's boutonniere for her date. I went to a place (I wont mention the business) that we have had boutonnieres made for us before. They took my order, and two days later (the day of the dance), I went to pick up the flower. When I saw the flower, I about came undone! (it didn't help that I only had 3 hours of sleep the night before from working late). This boutonniere was UGLY!! I said to the girl exact words, "This is the ugliest boutonniere I have ever seen, and I'm Not going to pay $11.50 for 1 rose a leaf found on the ground and wire!" The girl and I proceeded to have a stare off. Kelsey was of course mortified! Finally the girl asked, "What do you want me to do about it?", in a not too happy voice. I told her I wanted a new boutonniere. I didn't want a dead leaf, I wanted fern-like leaves, babies breath and ribbon, and to make sure that the wire was covered with floral tape. The sales girl took my ugly flower and crumbled it in her palm right in front of me and then said, "We try to make our boutonnieres different and not so OUT DATED". I think she wanted me to come behind the counter and make a new one myself. I would of too, if she had suggested it. I'm not a florist, but I think anyone could have made a nicer boutonniere, and since when did boutonnieres that looked nice go out of style? So I commented, "I don't care if it looks out dated, I just want it to look nice and not so ugly." I then told her I'd be back in a couple of hours to pick up the new one, then I flipped my head high and walked out not looking back! When I went back the MUCH nicer looking boutonniere was on the counter with my name on it. Since I had already paid, I just picked it up and left, hopefully never to see that young gal again! A man was the one who made our boutonnieres before, he wasn't there this time. I have a feeling that this girl was the one who actually made this ugly one and I had offended her. Oh well! She was young and she didn't have ANY customer service skills. I think next time, I'll try to make my own boutonniere. Kelsey agreed the boutonniere was ugly, and although she was embarrassed, she thanked me for getting a new one. The things mother's have to do for their children. Don't mess with mama bear, especially when she's tired!!!


Kelsey and Max Prom 2010

2 comments:

Chillygator said...

You are so dang cool1 I would have been way too timid to say anything (o:

the Brakey's said...

You go girl! I would have done the same thing, except I wouldn't have been as nice as you were!!! I think I often embarrass my kids! I have recently had to pay for corsages and THEY AREN'T CHEEP!!! at $26+ a piece, they better look good-outdated or not!