Friday, October 23, 2009

What Was I Thinking!?

When it comes to keys, my brain must not comprehend the importance of them, because I have a key problem. My problem isn't loosing my keys. I automatically place them either on the key hook by the door, or in my purse. My incomprehensible key problem with my brain, is that I tend to leave my purse in my car, with my KEYS in it! I have locked my purse with my keys in my car 3 times this year, 2009. Twice Jared has come to my rescue, and once Kailey came with the trustworthy spares from home. You would think I'd learn, especially since one the times, Jared's rescue came at 3:30 in the morning. Jared, so kind hearted, and thoughtful, had had enough of my lame brain and bought me a magnetic "hide-a-key". I hadn't quite hid it yet, and unfortunately the hide-a-key was sitting in my console of the car, when my last, inconceivable, 4th time locking my keys in the car, act took place. Yes! Can you believe it!? Actually that was the first question Jared asked when I sheepishly called him. "Where's your hide-a-key?" I quitetly yet quickly responded, "Umm.....Well....I haven't hid it yet! Because I hadn't gotten around to getting another key made because I actually have to have the dealer make it, and I umm....didn't want to hide a empty hide-a-key!" Now my lame brain, produces lame excuses too! Anyway, Jared gives me an exaggerated sigh, and proceeds to ask where I am. Right then, my brain starts flash backing and I then realize, that I had the spare keys too, also locked in the car! ( BTW Jared's keys to my car ARE the spare keys). Again, I pitifully explain that, earlier I had left my purse in the car in the garage, with my keys, so just grabbed the spare. And now both sets were tucked safely away in my purse. "You are on your own, Baby!" were the comforting words Jared gave as I hung up the phone. I had no other choice but to call a lock smith.
After a hour and half wait, the locksmith showed up. I wasn't too happy, because of myself, the concern for me from my husband, and most of all the wait. The locksmith proceeded to asked me a number of questions concerning my car. I guess my annoyed look, made him confess that he was just making sure I wasn't trying to steal the car, that I wanted him to unlock for me! "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!" I have half laughed half choked up, "If I want you to help me steal a car it wouldn't be a Dodge Mini Van!" The, then scared, locksmith just shut his mouth and hurried and unlocked my door. With out any words, he thrusted over the bill. (see exhibit "A" above). I murmured something to myself about how I should get a discount because he made me wait so long, then I wrote a check and he left. That was it! 5 minutes of his time, 90 minutes of mine, and a hefty $118 down the drain, all because of my brain seems to pass over the importance of NOT leaving your purse with your keys in it, in the car, then lock it.
I hope all who reads this will learn from my Ummm....unlearned mishap.

6 comments:

Lisel said...

Ha ha, I have the same problem! I've had to call a locksmith twice because I have yet to go to the dealer and have a spare key made. For future reference, a lot of tow companies can do the locksmith thing for a lot cheaper (I think I paid about $40) and I've never had to wait that long...Sorry for your mishap!

Alicia said...

Umm, that's really funny. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has problems with keys. I haven't locked them in the car yet, but I'm always loosing them. Drives Brent crazy. He hid the spare from me so I'd stop loosing his pair.

rebecca said...

Hahahahaha...hahahahaha....hahahaha.... you are heeelarious!

rebecca said...

I could totally see how you would tell the story in person...that would make it all that much better too!

jkennington said...

I loved reading your account of locking your keys in the car---4 times???? You are a great story teller!!!! Bonnie would be proud. Love you! Mom

Heather said...

Oh, I shouldn't laugh at your misfortune, but I am... Poor Janalynn... But we have done it too. In our garage, with no spare... But our insurance company does it for free ( I think 2-3 times/yr. 4th time, you are on your own...) Or I call them and they send someone out.
Good luck next time, maybe with your hide-a-key!!!